Do you know the warning signs of a violent relationship?
- He/she tells you he/she can not live with out you
- Blames you for his/her problems
- Acts of possessiveness and jealousy
- Constantly checking on you: asking what you are doing and where you are going
- Do you worry of his/her response to what you say or do
- Say or do things that humiliate you or devalue you
- Quick and intense changes in mood
- The person you are with uses drugs and wants you to start using
- You are constantly making excuses for his/her behavior
- Has hit or threatened to hit you
Dating abuse may be physical, but it could also be emotional or sexual. All are extremely harmful.
Physical Abuse may include:
- Hitting or threatening to hit
Emotional Abuse may include:
- Threats, disrespect, intimidation
- Teasing that is degrading
Sexual Abuse may include:
- Calls you degrading names of a sexual nature
- Talks constantly about sex, even when asked to stop.
- Spreads sexual rumors about you
- Asks you to perform sexual acts with other people as a favor
Abuse may affect anyone regardless of age, gender, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, religion, etc.
Victims of relationship abuse often struggle with
- inability to concentrate
- psychological or mental problems (depression, guilt, shame)
- physical injury or other health problems
- and/or suicide thoughts or actions
- indecisive (difficulty making decisions)
Abuse is about power and control, it is not about love.